Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Questions for MIC's Hotline

As a result of the Hindraf rally, the MIC is planning to set up a hotline to listen to the Malaysian Indian's grievances. By introducing this hotline, MIC is only facilitating the manner in which problems are transmitted to the party big wigs. Looks like the traditional way of bringing your complaints to your elected official (irrespective of which party they belonged to) was not working too well for the Indians. Nevertheless, I think we should give this hotline a chance.

Once the hotline is up and running, I am sure it will be ringing non-stop. These are some of the questions my active imagination conjured up:

Caller 1: My son got 5 A's in his SPM, but failed to get place in UTM for even a diploma course. My neighbor, a non-Indian, managed to get a place in a degree course although he got only 2 A's. How is that possible?

Caller 2: Sale of samsu is rampant in our estate. Many families are suffering when the head of the family becomes addicted to this poison. Can the MIC urge the government to take this issue seriously and ban the sale and consumption of samsu, similar to what they have done for ganja and other illicit drugs?

Caller 3: I just graduated and would like to join the public sector. However, I don't see any Indian director-generals anywhere. This has demotivated me from joining the government sector. I want to work hard and reach the top. What can MIC do to remove this glass ceiling that discourages me and other Indians from joining the public sector?

Caller 4: I am in Form 6. I miss my Malay friends who were with me in Form 5. Most of them are now pursuing their studies overseas with government loans or scholarships. Can the MIC urge the government to send me also? I want to be with my friends again. Don't worry, my SPM results are as good as theirs.

Caller 5: I will be sitting for my PMR examinations next year. I live in an estate where the electricity is generated using a generator. The power goes off at 9 p.m., just when I am about to do my homework, and study for my exams. After school, I need to take care of my siblings and do household chores since both my parents work as rubber-tappers and are not home. Can the MIC do something to extend the power up to 12 midnight, so that I can study hard for a brighter future than my parents?

Caller 6: Whatever happened to M. Magendren and N. Mohandas, the first Malaysians to conquer Mt. Everest? Abdul Malik Mydin was made a Datuk for swimming across the English Channel. Why weren't these two heroes given the Datuk title? Don't tell me swimming across the channel is more difficult then reaching the Everest summit. Please right the wrong, MIC. It is better late than never.

Caller 7: My mom was born in Malaysia before 1957. She still has a red IC as she is only a permanent resident and not a citizen. I heard the government has been giving citizenships to Indonesians who not only came here recently, but were also not born in Malaysia. Is this true? If yes, what can MIC do to help? She sent her application 9 years ago, and until today, nobody has touched her file.

Caller 8: I am calling from Malacca. It is insulting to have a place named Tg. Keling here after 50 years of independence. The government has changed many street and town names which hint that we were once colonized by the Mat Sallehs. Why not change the name of Tg. Keling too since the "K" word is disrespectful to the Indians?

Samy Vellu is expecting calls to focus mainly on Tamil schools and Hindu temples. He may be surprised to find out that the Malaysian Indians world does not revolve only on these two issues. Be prepared to get an earful.

2 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You must have spend a lot of time in planning and writing this piece. The other aspect is you are quite fair in not bashing this ridiculous stop-gap nonsense to appease the people. But your approach of sarcasm at its best is evident and quite well articulated. Good. My instincts tell me this is one of those far-fetched fanciful Aladdin’s lamp type of thinking which is ridiculous and comical. But let us wait and see.

I am afraid MIC has no answers to all the points raised. Funny as I think, the rot set in, continued over the years, people were aware lots of our dues are being taken away, but yet, we did not raise our concern. Anyway, this is my personal opinion, your thoughts may differ.

On a point of clarification, is samsu still a curse in estates or is the electricity still supplied by generators. I have been away from these places for a very long time.

Samy knows what is ailing the Indian community, but he is the proverbial ostrich with his head buried under. In his situation he should get lost, get away far away from Malaysia – though this is not a guarantee a new leader (can you see any one in this bunch now) can do much. Hoping against hope, this leader should be down to earth mix with the population, be honest and admit that there are problems that exist and do, maybe not the best but something. It was common in those days to give prominence to the one above you who could be just a supervisor and remark ‘he knows best, – kerani ayah knows etc etc but the least these chaps were not that bad.

Did you see the pathetic Samy in the video that I posted. Good, nobody pelted him with stones.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger KillBill07 said...

Aarvidi,

Thanks for your feedback. I agree. What is more important is whether they take action on the calls they receive. I believe they are going to take down notes and file it where it would gather dust.

It would not be fair to say Samy has not done anything. But, he could have done a lot more. What the Indians want is a change in policy, not attending to individual problems. The sad thing is there is no other suitable candidates to take over MIC and stand up to UMNO. Palanivel is pathetic.

Samsu is still a problem for sure. As for generator supplied electriciy, that was the case at least 2 years ago. My uncle was a HA in one of the estates where this was practised.

Awesome video. You must give him a little credit to have the guts to show up. I think he did not have much choice but to show his face. At least now he knows how the grassroots feel about him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home